The overall objective of the RoofOfRock project is to demonstrate and to promote proper selection and sustainable use of building stone along the karstified part of the Adriatic coast through a joint approach and joint methodology.
It is already determined that adequate promotion and preservation strategies for the natural and cultural heritage in the Adriatic Region present an important strategic resource for developing sustainable tourism. We see preservation and sustainable management of natural and cultural heritage as a task that typically requires joint development and joint implementation.
On the other hand, it is very important to ensure the promotion of the platy limestone according to its significance for the entire architecture in the Adriatic Region. The general objective of this project is to provide both but also to establish the professional grounds for implementing common legislation in conservation of natural and cultural heritage at the local, national and international level.
Specific objectives of the project:
- To analyze the use of building stone in Adriatic karst through time and to identify examples of best and bad practice.
- To characterize general natural characteristics of limestone used as building material – dimension stone and to characterize precisely the natural characteristics and extent of natural appearance for the specific platy limestone.
- To identify provenience of stone used in architecture and to analyze the spatial appearance of the specific rock types in nature.
- To identify remaining natural resources and analyze conditions for sustainable use of this mineral commodity and to prepare grounds for common legislation in the project area. In order to assure adequate management of the limestone a system of best practice protocols in identification, exploration, exploitation and use of building stone will be set up. For adequate promotion, the platy limestone will be used as a symbol of common history that inevitably leads to common future.
- To educate the stakeholders (spatial planners, conservators, and local government), craftsman and general public in best practice use of building stone in project area and to promote the sustainable use, preservation of cultural heritage and natural heritage through the example of platy limestone.